Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Dress

Well, it turns out that finding your wedding dress in 3 hours is possible. I just spent a great Saturday in Chicago with my five best girlfriends wedding dress shopping. It really was a dichotomous experience.

We started out day at Dimitra's Bridal on Rush Street, and while it wasn't a horrible experience, looking back on it, there was a reason I left frustrated and a little stressed. Perhaps it was the sales woman telling me that I don't know what my style is, because after all, she had just chosen every dress they had with a "vintage" look for me (which were all terrible, and nowhere close to the look I had shown her). Or maybe the fact that upon revealing my intended budget, she promptly told my friends that I could not try on a gown without her (bluntly) stating the price first. And that the trunk show gowns were off limits. Or when she scoffed at my not wanting to buy a shabby sample gown that was falling apart, "did you really think we would sell it to you like that?" But my all time favorite was her pointing at my breasts and telling me how no dress would ever fit me because the designers simply do not make them that small. Honestly I spent most of my time there appoliogizing because I felt like I was more trouble then her worth.

So from hell to heaven, and to what I can only imagine is the best bridal boutique in Chicago, ah, White Chicago. From the moment we entered the subterranean, clean modern showroom we were completely delighted. All glass and white lacquer, and complete with a rack for your shoes and a selection of fresh white socks. My entourage and I called ahead and asked if we could celebrate with some bubbly. Not only was the woman on the phone courteous, but she invited us to come early and enjoy one of their private lounges while we toast. We popped the cork and toasted and began dress shopping the way it was meant to be. While sitting on the white modern sofa, in the all white room, I handed out small cards to each of my best friends asking them to be my bridesmaids, "check yes or no." It was so adorable. I have a picture of each carefully checking yes. Then myself and a few of the ladies were invited back to their gallery to take a look at their selection of new samples, and once wed dresses. The selection was fresh and designer, and most of all gorgeous. Even my ring left happier after a fresh cleaning!

I tried on each dress and walked the catwalk before the ladies, and it was super fun. The saleswoman even suggested I show off the ones I didn't love, so that my friends could at least see them. She understood that it was all about the experience, not just the dress. Each gown had things to love and like. But in the end, it was the last one that won my heart. I had actually seen it on the bride before me as she pranced down the catwalk in it. I can't imagine what she thought when we all pointed and screamed, that's the dress! Thank you White Chicago for such an amazing, and perfect experience!




Photos: White Chicago


No comments: