Friday, January 30, 2009

Bride's Pies and Groom's Cake

So as we begin thinking about the style elements of the wedding, it's definitely time to think about dessert! Of course cake is where we should begin, but let's cut to the chase. PIE! One of my lovely clients is Hoosier Mama Pie Company, a (now) Mom and Pop bakery in Chicago. With a cute 1930s, Depression Modern feel, working with their identity has been nothing but a blast, and after a few years, their amazing skills and flavors have taken them quite far. A quick visit to Paula and Craig's shop yesterday yielded what I have to say is the best apple pie I've ever had. Seriously. No nepotism here, completely amazing.



So, with the hook up of the century, we have to go with pie, pie and more pie. I think Paula called it "all the pie we can eat," which is a lot of pie. Nonetheless, I'm a semi-traditionalist at heart, and would love to have a small cake as well. My current fascination is with Lovin Sullivan Cakes. Their modern, clean and beautiful designs are my inspiration for where to begin my own hunt in the Midwest. Kudos!






7 comments:

Ellie B said...

I'm going to smuggle in some sharp cheddar to go with the apple pie!!!

Dori and Chris said...

I have to admit I have an obsession with buttercream frosting and wedding cake - so if you can work that in somewhere, I would appreciate it... ;)

Jeremy said...

hoosier mama's crust is like delicate mana from heaven, it's taste hasn't left my heart since it touched my tongue. I also second the buttercream frosting suggestion. Jello instant pudding is really good too.

Sarah said...

I'll only eat it if they can make the pies without harming any innocent all purpose flour

Afton said...

can i have ice cream with my pie?!

Jeremy said...

yeah there better be some ice cream

Sarah said...

how 'bout you guys do whatever you want because it's your wedding :)

(just make sure you have big napkins, in case it's gross and we need to spit it out)